I love searching the internet to find a solution to a problem. That’s how I fixed the dishwasher and got dog pee out of a wool rug. But sometimes Google is like a hot but unreliable man. In other words, disappointing and frustrating.
I was trying to figure out how I could provide a way to buy my new book Goddess from this blog, but all I could find was useless and confusing information about plugins and stripping out Amazon html code. (I’m good with the stripping part; HTML I’m not so talented with.) Part of the confusion was between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. We’re much more limited on the .com site, but hey, it’s free.
I finally found the solution myself. It was simple, but it took some digging through menus. I offer it to other new authors who want to sell their book from their blog.
- First go to the WP Admin site.
- Select Appearance, then Customize, then Widgets, then Sidebar.
- Select Add a Widget.
- In the menu of options, find Image.
- I added an image of my book cover.
- You can embed a link in the image. I chose the Amazon.com page for my book.
- For the title, I wrote “Buy My Book Here:”
- Underneath, for the caption, I wrote “Available on Amazon” I suppose I could have included the price too.
- I then reordered the sidebar so my buy link was at the top right.
It was so simple, my 10-year-old could have done it.
I hope that’s helpful to some of you. Now damnit, go buy my book!